[PSUBS-MAILIST] Checking For Stray Electrical Currents

Steve McQueen via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun Aug 30 16:35:16 EDT 2015

During our convention this question arose. I had given an answer/procedure
I thought I remembered from a book I read "The 12 Volt Bible for Boats".  I
just wanted to share it again as I wasn't sure I got it exactly correct.

It is a simple process and of course you want to avoid accidentally
shorting your system during testing.

Using a 12 volt test lamp or a current meter

   - Remove the battery's positive terminal connector
   - Make sure all circuit switches are off (open), fuses are in place and
   master battery switch is on (as applicable). In this state there should be
   no current flow
   - Place the test lamp or meter in series between the battery's positive
   terminal and the connector that was removed (pos. to pos. & neg. to neg.)
   - If the light is lit or the meter reads a current value you have an
   issue (the brighter the light or the higher the current value the larger
   the current flow)

I believe this test should be done when the sub is in the water to ensure
any stray paths that might be due to exterior wiring being wet are captured.

Anyone done this test or have other ideas?

Steve