[PSUBS-MAILIST] viewport covers

hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Dec 3 08:22:16 EST 2015

Hi James,I restored ports for Gamma that I thought wear toast, it is very easy and fast.  When the ports have scratches all over them, I wet sand with 2,000 grit until the scartches are gone, then apply a few drops of automotive polish.  I had some 20 year old stuff from my bodyshop days, it is buffing compound.  I then polish with a flat buffer.  I just bought a cheap oscillating buffer.  I would not use the one in your picture because it is to localized and may build up heat. Do not sand with your finger tip and do not try to dig out the scratch, sand the area of the scratch to maintain clear optics.  The Stachew book has specs on scratches.  Hank