[PSUBS-MAILIST] Fw: Thruster position

via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Dec 3 12:09:54 EST 2015

I talked to the engineers at M-K about that a few years back. They had no data for other props, but say the motors run just as well in reverse. Replacing the plastic scimitars would probably cost you a bit of thrust in one direction, but you'd get a lot back the other way. It seemed like on balance that might be a reasonable trade-off. I did look for props at the time, but don't remember whether I actually found one. I'm betting if someone called Michigan or somebody they might find just the ticket. That would be cool, even if you had to build an adapter for the skinny shaft. I've got a wheelbarrow load of M-Ks sitting around. Maybe it's time to look into that again. I would really love to have something with a smaller diameter, maybe 3 or 4 blade to make up the difference. They'd have to be nicely balanced, however, as the M-K bearings are probably undersized for heavy props. Hmm.
Vance