[PSUBS-MAILIST] Compensating oil

Alan James via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat Dec 12 05:24:34 EST 2015

Hank, what ever happened to your idea of using a submersible pump as a thruster?Have just been doing a bit of reading on oil compensation of submersible pumps.In this article....http://www.pumped101.com/oilvsair.pdf
it states that with oil compensation there is only a loss of about 1&1/2% efficiency over an air compensated motor..... "Whatdoes reduce an oil filled motor’s efficiency is the energy loss due to oilcirculation within the stator housing. As a rule of thumb, this circulationrequirement reduces efficiency by about 1.5% when compared to an air filledmotor. "
   Of interest was that they base this on the use of an oil "Shellflex 210" which has a viscosity of 20.3 cst at 40C.I was recently trying to track down a silicone oil of 3cst thinking that I would need a really low viscosity to get reasonable efficiency.A chemist I spoke to said at that low a viscosity it would be flammable.Alan