[PSUBS-MAILIST] electro plating

Thu Dec 31 05:01:02 EST 2015

Hi Brian,

Hank has already said it but the epdm doesn't seem so good.  I went with it
because that's what it said in the Stachiw book.  I tested my dome to 60
meters (200 feet) and although I couldn't see it, the rubber had obviously
extruded quite a lot due to the amount of silicone squeezed out.  Also, on
my forward main tank, I have "windows" that are mounted on epdm seats.
They are not pressure windows, just covers but they still need to seal the
main tank.  When I tighten the 8 bolts, the epdm extrudes maybe up to 5mm
in places and I have to go around and trim it off.  And they leaked before
I sealed them permanently with sikaflex.

Hank tested the neoprene\cork blend I sent him and it tested out much
better.  Im changing my dome mount to have that instead.

Perhaps if you used a harder EPDM it might be ok?  The one I have is 70
shore.

I think a lot of people just sit the acrylic straight on the seat as well.
I would probably just do that now with my dome, but I cannot as the
retaining ring seal is designed for the 1mm gasket underneath.  I am
changing the seat for 1mm neoprene\cork gasket in a few weeks time.

Kind Regards
James

On 31 December 2015 at 02:27, Brian Cox via Personal_Submersibles <