[PSUBS-MAILIST] Pisces

via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Jan 6 09:02:59 EST 2015

It would surely be nice to find Leo. I'd go into hock again for that one, just for old time's sake. That notwithstanding, I'm virtually certain that those particular hull(s) were built of A516Gr70, like most of the boats of the day (and most of the boats out of Nuytco currently, or at least the ones without cyrillic operating manuals).

I don't remember how thick the steel was, but it was definitely made from standard stuff. Plus, the main viewport was 4 FEET in diameter!!! Diving that thing was seriously awesome. She had plenty of room for two (or enough for three good friends) and that huge picture window in the front.

If Hyco had survived (Leo was their last P-style boat) I'm betting there would be more of them out there. It was a serious attempt at Perry's stranglehold on the shallow water market (shallow by comparison) and I think it was a really good try. Sadly, it all fell apart before we could really show her off.

We did all the deepwater pilot training in her down on the Flower Gardens, and had a ball. These days, she'd be even better, because the subsystems and propulsion gear is so much better. That sub was rated for 2000 feet, which ain't bad. How about that for an option, Scott?

No fancy steel. Huge viewport. 600 meters. What could be better? A 6 1/2 foot sphere displaces less than 6-tons. Add a pair of uncle Phil's aluminum pods in back with a block of foam to support them. Fair the thing like a fat tadpole. You could probably hold it down to 7, maybe 7 1/2 tons.

Leo weighs 10. Most of the P-boats weigh that, and a good bit more. Yours would be a lightweight compared to them, a whole lot cheaper to build, more agile, easier to maintain..... The list goes on. What could be better? Damn, I want one!!! It would be perfect for my neck of the woods.

Vance