[PSUBS-MAILIST] Foam

Sean T Stevenson via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Jan 12 09:54:40 EST 2015

On January 12, 2015 7:21:20 AM MST, via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org> wrote:
>Can someone give me the basics on syntactic foam?
>

>*What is the buoyancy per cubic inch?

This is variable, and depends on both the matrix material and the reinforcement. Typically, it is hollow glass microspheres in an epoxy matrix. "Foam" is a physical description - the stuff is typically denser than wood. In this case, the size of the glass spheres dictates the finished density, and you may use more than one size of sphere. You want to design a foam that will have mechanical properties to stand up to the design working depth, while otherwise keeping the density as low as possible. Deeper foams are denser foams.

>*How do you shape it?

Syntactic foam is cast, so you either create a mold and pour the uncured mixture in, or you cast large blocks and cut or shape them afterward.

>*How much does it cost?
>

>*Where do you get it?

I'll leave these questions for someone with more recent experience with syntactic. Also, check the psubs site for Cliff Redus' presentation on making foam for the R300.

Sean