[PSUBS-MAILIST] Vertical Thruster

Anders Ljung via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Jan 13 05:32:56 EST 2015

Hello

Using one or two minnkotas for this application would be similar to a
hamster humping a rhino hehe . The water in the free flooding space has to
be accounted for in the moment of inertia
so its roughly 12 tons that needs to be put in motion so....let the
minnkota stay on the rowing boat :) you need to use the same components as
the lateral thrusters uses or something similar,
which is a 3 kW hydraulic motor driving a Kaplan turbine pump jet. There
are reserve penetrators in the tower area that could route the hydraulic
lines. The thrust will decrease by the
Cos sinus angle of deflection  in order a 45 deg deflection will result in
some 30 % loss in thrust. It is possible to make a rectangular nozzle where
the deck meets the pressure hull as long as the same cross section
area of the duct is maintained. The coanda effect off the curvature of the
pressure hull will help straighten out the water jet and also to some
degree contribute to lift.

And Lasse...please make sure all of the money you owe me for the sub is
paid before cutting a bunch of holes in it ;)

best regards

Anders Ljung