[PSUBS-MAILIST] FW: Escape with Steinke Hoods.

Hugh Fulton via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Jan 14 22:51:48 EST 2015

Hi Guys,

My two Steinke hoods turned up. Made in USA 1982. Still in good condition.
I  have looked at the escape training video which was great. Questions.  It
is obvious you need a fill hose for the initial fill at depth prior to
opening the hatch.  i.e. if you are at 10 atmospheres depth then you need to
fill it with 10 atmospheres (bar) pressurised air.

1.       How many of you are adding a Steinke fill hose with an Aro coupling
for this purpose.

2.       Breathing this will give you narcosis.  So is it better to have 2
bottles of mixed gas for this purpose? One for 8-15 bar depth escapes and
one for 16-25 bar depth escapes.  Air could be used up to 8 bar.

3.       What are the mixes recommended for these depths to prevent narcosis
as it could take 5 minutes to pressurise and escape.

Chs  Hugh.