[PSUBS-MAILIST] Removable tru hulls

Alec Smyth via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri Jan 16 10:39:29 EST 2015

Just for everyone else, what we are talking about here is not a penetrator
but a removable bulkhead into which you can screw penetrators. What Snoopy
has on her stern endcap, which is on the project page. Scott, these should
go on the head itself, but as Vance mentioned avoid the knuckle (the part
where the head has maximum curvature). I wanted to add to that you should
not put these in the cylindrical portion of the hull. The bulkhead seats
are beefy, but even so if you weld them into the cylinder the weld tension
will bend them out of plane and they will no longer offer a flat seat. Its
hard to explain in an email, but the reason this happens is, when you weld
them into the cylinder, the weld itself is not on a flat plane as it goes
around the insert, it is curved. If you put them into the endcaps, the weld
is in almost the same plane all the way around and the insert will not
distort.

Locating smaller through-hulls (like one or two inch diameter) on the
cylinder does not present this problem, but the big ones do.

Best,

Alec