[PSUBS-MAILIST] Removable tru hulls

swaters@waters-ks.com via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri Jan 16 11:52:03 EST 2015

Good point Alec. I understand what you are saying. Pehaps I should redesign it to be thicker and be similar to a side veiwport. Thoughts?
Thanks,
Scott Waters

Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Smartphone

-------- Original message --------
From: Alec Smyth via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>
Date:01/16/2015  9:39 AM  (GMT-06:00)
To: Personal Submersibles General Discussion <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Removable tru hulls

Just for everyone else, what we are talking about here is not a penetrator but a removable bulkhead into which you can screw penetrators. What Snoopy has on her stern endcap, which is on the project page. Scott, these should go on the head itself, but as Vance mentioned avoid the knuckle (the part where the head has maximum curvature). I wanted to add to that you should not put these in the cylindrical portion of the hull. The bulkhead seats are beefy, but even so if you weld them into the cylinder the weld tension will bend them out of plane and they will no longer offer a flat seat. Its hard to explain in an email, but the reason this happens is, when you weld them into the cylinder, the weld itself is not on a flat plane as it goes around the insert, it is curved. If you put them into the endcaps, the weld is in almost the same plane all the way around and the insert will not distort.

Locating smaller through-hulls (like one or two inch diameter) on the cylinder does not present this problem, but the big ones do.

Best,

Alec