[PSUBS-MAILIST] Removable tru hulls

Sean T Stevenson via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri Jan 16 12:14:47 EST 2015

Sorry I'm late to the party, but I had to check through my references. Ordinarily I refer to the ASME code for detail design items, but that document is not free for download and thus of limited utility for discussion here.

I did, however, find the appropriate section in the Steel Vessel Rules (2014), which is freely downloadable from eagle.org as with the UVHS rules.  In fact, the ABS UVHS Rules defer to the Steel Vessel Rules for compliance, so anybody guiding a design using UVHS should also have a copy of the other reference handy.

The relevant sections in the Steel Vessel Rules are:

Part 4: Vessel Systems and Machinery
Chapter 4: Boilers, Pressure Vessels and Fired Equipment
Section 1: Appendix 1 - Rules for Design

Essentially, it boils down to the fact that single openings less than 2" nominal pipe size don't require any special analysis if they are in a shell with an inside diameter greater than four times the diameter  opening.

Note that this is for isolated single openings only. Arrays of openings, such as a penetrator plate with multiple openings, must conform to other restrictions given in that section, and the plate itself must conform to the requirements for unstayed flat heads, also given in that section.

Openings larger than the 2" are subject to the same requirements for shell reinforcement as your viewport openings. These requirements are also detailed in that section, although designers should note that for submarines, all reinforcement needs to be integral to shell / nozzle walls and full-penetration welded. Doubler plates are not permitted.

Sean