[PSUBS-MAILIST] HY-80 to HY-100

swaters@waters-ks.com via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Jan 20 07:15:34 EST 2015

Phil,
Do you have any advice on HY-80? Possably what supplier you use or tips on the welding process?
Thanks,
Scott Waters

Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Smartphone

-------- Original message --------
From: Phil Nuytten via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>
Date:01/14/2015  8:12 PM  (GMT-06:00)
To: Personal Submersibles General Discussion <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] HY-80 to HY-100

Scott/Alec
Both HY-80 and HY 100 are difficult to form and, most problematical, require special welding procedures - quite different than 516 or other mild steels. If you plan to certify, then the certification agency must review and accept the detailed weld procedure and will ask for weld coupons that have been tested and passed. When we first started using high strength steels it took our weld guys several months of trying the procedures they had been advised to use and to, finally, develop their own version of a technique that would pass the required tests. We were only able to find one supplier of HY80/100 in north America and they were uber expensive. We also had to fly a certified surveyor in to the mill to stamp the steel sheets  with his mark– and then, later,  to transfer the marks when we cut the steel prior to forming.
‘Course, iffen it was easy then ev’rybody’d be doin’ it!!
Phil