[PSUBS-MAILIST] Drawing of my 2-man sub

hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat Jan 31 08:43:04 EST 2015

Andre,
I have a sub with an acrylic cylinder for the CT and the visibility is fantastic,
On Fri, 1/30/15, Alec Smyth via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Drawing of my 2-man sub
 To: "Personal Submersibles General Discussion" <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>

 Hi
 Andre,
 Very nice drawing and
 concept, I like the simplicity and it looks balanced. I
 would have the following observations:
 - Check that you can actually get
 those hemispherical heads for a reasonable price.
 Hemispherical heads are far less common than elliptical. I
 was once shopping for endcaps and got the following quote:
 "The elliptical is $300, the hemispherical is $300 plus
 $4000 in tooling setup costs".
 - Regarding the coning tower design
 (K250 in this case) it depends what you want the sub for.
 The problem with that tower is the low freeboard, which is
 fine for lakes but insufficient for open water. You cannot
 open a K250 hatch in the ocean in anything but flat calm
 conditions. Also, visibility out of a K250 dome hatch is not
 good, even though that might sound counter-intuitive. You
 are looking through the side of a dome, which means poor
 optics. The bow dome visibility will be wonderful, because
 you're looking through the apex. Or, of course,
 visibility of the surface will be good from the
 coning tower, but one only uses that upon
 surfacing.
 - I would
 not worry too much about the boat being top heavy. In
 general, between low drop weights, low batteries, and high
 MBTs these little boats are extremely stable. You should be
 able to carry a significantly taller tower than that one
 given the hull beneath it. I'm not saying you should
 skip the stability calculations, I'm just saying I think
 you will find that the calculations prove you can carry a
 higher tower that will allow for flat viewports and increase
 freeboard. Another option is to put a cylindrical viewport
 on the K250 tower to bump it up. I haven't done that
 myself, but it could be done.
 Best,
 Alec
 On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at