[PSUBS-MAILIST] dive report

Clifford Redus via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Jul 23 10:00:36 EDT 2015

To me potting or not comes down to the cost of the housing.  If you can
find an adequate low cost housing and that the housing fits your
application, maybe like the one Alan posted, then its worth experimenting
with potting. If we can not find an adequate OTS housing, and we have to
machine a housing, then it makes more sense to build as 1-atm housing and
utilize the mounting base so that the LED array can be change out.

Potting the back of the LED is not going to work.  The manufacture requires
that the back of the LED be in contact with an aluminum heat base to
conduct heat also you need to use a thermal grease behind the array.  I
work if you potted the face of the LED that it would prevent adequate heat
transfer.

Cliff