[PSUBS-MAILIST] LED Lights

Clifford Redus via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Jul 23 12:06:44 EDT 2015

Ken, good first pass at the specs.  Below are comments.  BTW, I will post
these here as I have not been able to get the activation code back yet on
registering at the forum.

Item 2.1 DC Voltage.  If it were me, I would stick with nominal battery
bank voltages of 24 and 36 VDC.  When I switch to MK 101 thrusters, I
dropped my main battery bank voltage to 36VDC my instrumentation bus is
24VDC.  Would need a single fuse holder to accept fuses to handle different
nominal voltages.

Item 4.0 Depth Requirement.  In the spirit of keeping cost down, I think
500 meters (1640 ft) would be more than enough.  I know Scott is designing
a deep diving boat but is any one else shooting for more than 500m?

6.0 Dimming.   I would omit the ability to dim the light.  Yes I know it is
easy from an electrical point of view but it forces us to go with more pins
on the subsea connector.  I am thinking on installing multiple lighs so I
could just control on/off for each light.  I could go either way on this
but in the spirit of KISS, I vote to omit dimming.

8.3 Ports  I would change plastic to acrylic.  I don't think we will end up
here but if we do, we can use PVHO flat view port calcs to size the acrylic
lens.

9.0 Printed Wiring Boards.  I really like the way the Minn-Kota motor
controller PWBs are potted.  Rather than using the spray on hydrophobic
coatings, to me we should pot the board (accept for access to fuse).
Therefore suggest changing the word coated to potted.

11.0 Mechanical Housing.  I suggest.  The LED panel light and PCB shall
be contained in a single 1-atm flange mounted cylindrical housing with a
low profile that can be recessed in a FRP shell with attachment screws from
the rear of the flange.  The housing should contain a single 29 LED Array
rated at 10,000 lumens  with a rated power of  91-140 lumens/W (109-71W).
Mounting holes will be provided for an optional SS yoke style support
bracket.

Material: Hard anodized 6061-T6 or 7071-T6  TBD (I have a grey beard
machinist friend that owns a machine shop.  He loves 7071-T6 as it is a
dream to machine and stronger than 6061-T6.

On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 9:52 AM, Ken Martindale via Personal_Submersibles <