[PSUBS-MAILIST] thruster positioning and compass thoughts

T Novak via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Jul 30 23:57:34 EDT 2015

Hank,

Will the four thrusters be mounted high on the hull like the single vertical one you showed me last week?  If so then this position would probably be beneficial for three dimensional maneuvering close to the bottom as the thrusters would be less likely to stir up the silt and mud.  Less likely doesn't mean won't.  I am imagining that you will have four thrusters mounted high, horizontal and canted 45 degrees to the long axis.  Toss a photo or drawing our way so that we can see your plans.

An aircraft compass may be your best bet since you can adjust the internal magnets to "swing" the compass.  It's hard to say how even that would work inside an all steel boat, especially when that big electric motor powers up.  Scuba with a DPV made my wrist compass useless while under power.  What are the K-subs using for compass nav?

Tim