[PSUBS-MAILIST] Dive report: Snoopy at Seneca

hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Jun 8 17:16:34 EDT 2015

Alec,
I have the same problem with my drive on Gamma, when returning to the surface the shaft tube is under pressure.  I have a ball valve mounted to the tube and even a month later there is pressure until I open the ball valve.  I have tried a softer compensation bladder with no luck.  There has to be an air pocket that we are not getting rid of.  Brian's suggestion is not bad at all, forget the bladder and rig an open hose with traps so the oil can not escape.  There would be an air space trapped between the oil and water in the length of tube.  That air bubble would simply move in two directions depending on depth.  A very simple solution, more tricky for you because your motors rotate.  I think I will test this idea since I have my tail assembly off for repairs anyways.