[PSUBS-MAILIST] Fw: Amazon.com: Ebotrade-tech 42" 240w LED Off Road Light Bar Spot Flood Beam Work Light 4wd Boat Pickup Truck: Automotive

Alan James via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Jun 23 03:54:32 EDT 2015

I'd give it  a go too Hank.I've been doing a bit more Googling & can't find any specifics on capacitorpressure limits. Found this on an electronics forum. It may be of interestto Ken in his led light driver design.AlanIt's kind of funny reading these posts looking for advice for pressure tolerant electronics.. It seemed like such an esoteric concern when I started designing electronics for ROVs. I didn't think that there would be many other people out there looking for this information.Our electrical systems are routinely tested to 10.5kPSI (5000m+ some safety factor), and we really don't have too many issues with component failures (due to pressure). That being said, we do not use a handful of different types of components:
   - Electrolytic capacitors
   - Tantalum capacitors
   - Hermetically sealed components.
   - Most metal can oscillators/crystals.
   - PVC insulated wire if in an oil compensated housing.
   - If critical, ferrite materials seem to exhibit fairly large changes with respect to pressure.
Other than that, most components work just fine. There are a few special cases where we cannot design out large bulk capacitance, specifically for motor control, where our electronic housings require special 1 ATM pockets where we seal special components.I have also had luck using MEMS oscillators in pressures below 5kPSI. Above that, we have had some failures. It's usually worth taking your final product to a pressure chamber and electronically monitoring it while it is operating at pressure, just to look for any sneaky issues.Let me know if you have any more specific questions too. I'll see if I can answer them for you.