[PSUBS-MAILIST] saftey gear

Alec Smyth via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Jun 30 09:03:33 EDT 2015

Hi Hank,

Snoopy has a BIBS, which would be used during cabin flooding. Each crew
member wears a compact inflatable jacket that uses a CO2 cartridge and has
a Spare Air for a few breaths on the way up. Although the life jackets do
not have over-pressure valves like a Steinke hood, the amount of gas in the
cartridge is limited and therefore the life jackets should not explode. My
understanding is these cartridges have about 800 psi in them, so they
should be able to inflate at depth albeit much more slowly than on the
surface. I do expect they will reach only a fraction of their normal volume
at depth given the amount of gas in the cartridge, so they will provide
only a very slow start toward the surface. But the difficulty with the
Steinke hoods is getting them on in such a confined space. Maybe in the new
sub I could store some spare trawl floats in the cabin (there's more space)
for speeding a swimming ascent.

Best,

Alec

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 8:07 AM, hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles <