[PSUBS-MAILIST] Electrical Question

Rick Patton via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Jun 30 13:37:27 EDT 2015

James,

I was looking into building an aluminum sailboat some years ago and
everything I read said to never ground anything to the hull, has to go back
to the negative side of the battery/engine block and then there would be a
dielectric spacer in the propeller shaft . I decided to build a sub instead
but I can't tell you how many power/sail boats I have had to fix because
they had stray current running threw their hull which acted like an anode?
There would be multiple circles ranging from a dime to a half dollar that
had eroded almost all the way threw the hull below the water line and I
would have to  fill them back up with Tig welding.  I don't understand
electricity like some of the others here but my 2 cents worth would be to
never use the hull as a ground and put a small section of non conductive
hose in your supply and return lines for LP or HP air.

Rick