[PSUBS-MAILIST] reach rods

Brian Cox via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Mar 18 23:34:37 EDT 2015

Hank,
        Yes, that is an option.  I think for rotating rods though you're suppose to have the O ring in the bore, that way the O ring will not tend to turn in the groove.  If you have it on the rod there is more surface area in contact with the O ring with respect to the rod rather than the Bore, there by inducing the O ring to turn in the groove.  I think the only issue is that I want to use a 1/2" rod in many different places, as it turns out if I had a rod that was .491 I would be right on the money using my 2-014 O ring and that would be good for 800 psi according to the Parker rotary O-ring seal specs.  But I really don't feel like machining all my 1/2" rods down .009" .  I can strike a happy medium with the my easy to acquire 1/2" rod by tweaking the tolerances with-in acceptable limits.  Groove diameter can go +.003 and the groove width can go +.004, Squeeze can go from 0 to 11%  and diametral clearance can be .012 to .016

Brian