[PSUBS-MAILIST] exotic steel

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri May 1 10:21:54 EDT 2015

Hi Scott,

Check your numbers again just to be sure.  A 72 inch sphere has a volume
of 113+ inches and will displace 7238 lbs of seawater. Using 1.25 inch
material should weigh in around 5760 lbs giving you 1478 lbs of
payload.  That still may not be enough payload depending upon equipment
and superstructure material but is significantly more than 511 lbs.

I'm showing HY-80 gets you 3000 feet using 3/4 inch thickness and 3782
lbs of payload, and HY-100 gets 3000 feet using 5/8 inch thickness and
4358 lbs of payload.  Assuming you have to use 1" material you would
still have 2620 lbs of payload.  Of course this assumes that the
thinnest part of the hemisphere after forming is at least as thick as
the required thickness for depth rating.

All these calcs are based on n=.8

Jon