[PSUBS-MAILIST] exotic steel

Alan James via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri May 1 17:35:31 EDT 2015

Hi Scott,it's probably 4 x the price of steel.Phil makes his exosuit out of cast A356 alluminium.There are holes created during the casting process that in his instanceare filled with expoxy which is forced in under pressure. Then it is hardanodized. As he said you would think the process would be the other way round.I doubt you would find anyone with an anodizing bath big enough for what you want.Casting wouldn't be an option due to expense & again finding a bath the size youneed for post casting heat treatment would be a problem.Although lighter for the same strength you would need to go twice as thick (guess).You may find someone in the world that can spin a large thick aluminum hemisphere.If you do, it then may be a matter of comparing the price of aluminium versus metal &syntactic foam. With the syntactic foam option you could end up with better stability.Alan