[PSUBS-MAILIST] Fiberglass

Alec Smyth via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon May 4 17:11:07 EDT 2015

Hi Alan,

Interesting comment about the polyester being designed for one shot. The
polyester resin I used is from 3M and the instructions say that it you
restart the job on a cured layer you should sand it lightly first - so
that's what I did, since it took about a month to get the desired number of
layers on. It didn't seem to have any bonding issues with layers applied on
cured material. This particular 3M polyester cures fully in 2 hours, and
didn't feel tacky after that, so perhaps this is brand specific.

Good point about the sections helping make the mirror versions of the MBTs.
I made templates out of thin particle board to cut out the foam sections,
and by flipping the templates was able to make mirror image tanks.

Best,

Alec

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 4:33 PM, Alan James via Personal_Submersibles <