[PSUBS-MAILIST] Fiberglass

Alan James via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon May 4 17:38:30 EDT 2015

Hank,I mean when the fiberglass has cured & just the surface is tacky.It is meant to be like this to form a chemical bond with the next layer.If you wait for the surface to dry (in time) then the next layer doesn't adhere as well.I used clear cast polyester resin in art works, & you had to add paraphin wax inliquid form to stop the surface becomming tacky.There are two general types of polyester resin used for repair. Laminating or Bonding resin which cure to a tacky surface and Fiberglass or Marine Finish resin which cures to a non-tacky surface.Laminating resin (Evercoat # 100560, 100561) is used for initial coats on wood or for multiple applications with fiberglass cloth or mat. This resin is air-inhibited which means it will cure to a tacky finish and does not require sanding between coats. This is desirable in laminating because the layers adhere to each other better. This product should not be used as a final coat unless measures are taken to seal out the air during the curing process.Marine and Fiberglass resin (Evercoat # 100553, 100552, 100554, 100517, 100518, 105499, 105498, 105500, and 105501) is non air-inhibited or waxed resin. It is for the final coat. This resin cures with a hard non-tacky surface. When the catalyzed resin is applied as a final coat to the laminate coats of resin, the wax rises to the top, sealing off the air and allows the resin to cure to a hard finish, which can then be sanded, painted or gel coated.NOTE: Cannot be used with aluminum, redwood and/or close-grained woods like oak or cedar. Do not use with Styrofoam.Alan