[PSUBS-MAILIST] Forward scan

Alan James via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun May 10 00:38:24 EDT 2015

Anyone familiar with the Simrad 2D forward scan?Transducer kit price is around $700- & from what I haveread, it can run on the Simrad NSS7 evo Chartplotter / Fishfinder that sells for round $1200.  I'm wondering whether the transducer is solid & would be OK at 500ft, or if not, could I pot the transducer?  I have read that the sonar signal isn't impeded by solids but that air is a problem. That said I am wondering if a tight fitting alluminium housing would be better than an epoxy potting mix.Alan
http://www.simrad-yachting.com/en-NZ/Products/Echosounders/ForwardScan/

 http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|344|2028692|2028926&id=2646915http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|344|2028688|2028737&id=2445583