[PSUBS-MAILIST] Alan's thrusters

Alan James via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Nov 2 15:25:10 EST 2015

Thanks for the video clip Glen,that beast was moving pretty quickly.  The shaft is 8mm inside the motor with a very slight increase in diameter where itmoves out of the motor. At that point there is a flat section for 2 grub screws tosecure it. Then it transitions to 10mm to fit the propeller. And there are a couple ofo-ring grooves as well. I have ordered a "follower" for my lathe to support the rodwhen machining as there is a bit of flex in it.It is an outrunner motor and the can is secured with a number of screws that arelock tighted in. Very hard to remove & I have stuffed threads drilling them out.It is a sensorless motor & most of the BLDC ESC manufacturers (like Kelly) that producecontrollers to operate from joy sticks, don't do much in the way of sensorlesscontrollers in that power range. There may be a way of mounting hall sensors to the inside of the thruster housing to turn it in to a sensored motor.I need 6 of these initially so it will be worth my while sorting the problems.I get them from either the HK International or Aussie warehouse.There is the Haswing Protruar brushless motor. Emile uses one & said the gearbox was a bit noisy.http://www.haswingmarine.com.au/Protruar-2HP-Electric-Outboard-Motor-Haswing-100lbs-.html
If you can hang off a bit, I will do the donkey work on these motors so you can see if it willbe worthwhile. I should have built the housing & done my in pool testingI by the end of the Month.I may be in the position to make some available later down the track.Cheers Alan