[PSUBS-MAILIST] hemi heads

Keith Gordon via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Nov 9 15:32:47 EST 2015

Hank

I was involved with Salvage Pacific Ltd who back in the 80's were developing remote operated systems and ROV technology to recover cargo from shipwrecks that were in deeper water - this included a Palfinger hydraulic crane converted to work remotely controlled in 2000 ft depths. A project we started on was a wreck in 1800ft down a coral reef slope some 200 miles out from Townsville, Australia which was carrying a cargo of zinc ingots worth considerable money at that time. We borrowed the Pisces off Sverker Halstrom and shipped it down from Singapore and loaded it aboard our salvage vessel in Australia having been told it was operational and ready to go. We then found it had not been in water for some 10 years so I spent the next 6 weeks or so decommissioning the sub which was a task especially in the heat and being out at sea in a remote lagoon. Cut a long story short we got the sub in the water and carried out test dives in the lagoon - in the clear tropical water was like flying an airship around the reefs -  then started to prepare it for deep dives to the wreck site - but 1991 there was the financial crash, the banks got nervous and pulled the plug on support for our operation - probably a good thing before we started deep dives. I later visited the yard in Singapore where sub was again stored in open, I found the hatch had been left open and in the monsoon rains the sphere had filled with water - at least it was rainwater!  Sorry to see after all my hard work in those conditions  - but at least it has a good retirement home now in Phil's yard with other friends. As said give her a pat on the backside for me when you visit.

Keith G