[PSUBS-MAILIST] buoyancy

Alan James via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Nov 11 16:25:41 EST 2015

Sean,I just put it through the Deep Sea Power & Light program whichhas basic geometries & a materials list with epoxy / fiberglass.I had spent a lot of time a couple of years ago, researching the building
of a fiberglass 1atm sub. The E glass / epoxy combination was the best(including price) for compressive strength.Those carbon fiber pressure vessels are wound so a different kettle of fish.Graham Hawke did a carbon fiber wound submarine pressure hull at one stage.They do have carbon fiber masts which are both under compression & tension,so the compressive strength can't be too bad.Alan