[PSUBS-MAILIST] LED Emitters

Alan James via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Nov 17 17:39:28 EST 2015

Hi,I have been playing around with this type of emmitter.80W 6500K 6000-Lumen 80-LED White Light Board (DC 30~36V)

|   |
| 80W 6500K 6000-Lumen 80-LED White Light Board (D...I like this from DX. Find the cool gadgets at a incredibly low price with worldwide free shipping here. |
|  |
| View on www.dx.com | Preview by Yahoo |
|  |
|   |

Which seems a pretty standard format for high powered emitters.I am now thinking of oil compensating my lights, so the emitterswill be under pressure.What concerns me is that I have been told to handle these with careas the yellow covering material is some sort of compressible silicon &the wiring running off the LEDs are less than a hair in diameter.The emitter in cross section is bowl shaped with, in this case, 80 LEDsin the bottom of the bowl with wires running up the side of the bowl. The bowl shape is filled with a compressible  silicone type compound. If a lot of pressure was put on the silicone covering (in my case about 250lb over the surface of that emmitter) it would drag down on the wires that go up the side of the bowl & break them.I know there are smaller emitters with a glass or hard covering over the LEDsDoes anyone know of any high powered LEDs with a hard covering over them?What is the Verolux like?BTW was given a quote of NZ $100- to cut a 60mm D x 10mm toughenedglass lens, that is why I am looking at oil compensating.Cheers Alan