[PSUBS-MAILIST] Gauge for outside viewport?

Pete Niedermayr via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Oct 15 17:49:42 EDT 2015

Alec, Have you thought about making a 1atm enclosure for you gauges ?

Pete
On Sun, 9/20/15, Alec Smyth via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org> wrote:

 Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Gauge for outside viewport?
 To: "Personal Submersibles General Discussion" <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>
 Date: Sunday, September 20, 2015, 10:03 PM

 I have an interesting
 thing to think about and wondered if any of the PSUBS brain
 trust might have a suggestion.
 One of the simplifications on my new sub is that
 all HP air lines are external, aside from the BIBS (which is
 normally shut off anyway). Thus, I'm looking for a
 3,000-4,000 psi gauge to mount outside a viewport, like in
 the Pisces photo that I'll paste below. In case my paste
 doesn't come through, it is the one at the top of the
 following article: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/15/science/piloted-deep-sea-research-is-bottoming-out.html?_r=1
 The first thing that came to mind was to use a
 SCUBA submersible pressure gauge, but the problem is these
 are normally 1 atm dry enclosures of limited depth rating.
 There is generally little information posted about how deep
 they'll go, but what I did find was mentioned 260 feet
 for the plastic ones and 490 feet for the brass variety.
 This is a 1,000 foot sub.
 The second idea was to use oil filled gauges
 intended for above-water use. But these generally have
 considerable bubbles in the oil, are not very good at
 keeping the oil inside, and have other hardware not intended
 to live long in sea water.
 Any suggestions would be most welcome!

 Thanks,
 Alec