[PSUBS-MAILIST] Towing...

via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Sep 9 11:29:04 EDT 2015

We found the best way was a three-legged towing bridle with the short leg leading to the forward central tow point and the other two (slightly longer) attached outboard on the battery pods. It doesn't have to be too long overall. Maybe 3-5 meters overall. If you are standing in the garage doing the rigging, then the central lift point would be in line with your tow rope, and the down lines extending at an angle to the pods. The lower ropes tend to snub up when the sub tries to plunge while underway, helping to keep things more or less even with the surface. They also serve to resist the crabbing that Hank mentioned, which is an issue, especially at slow speeds or in any kind of following sea. Use dacron braid, rather than nylon. The sub will pogo on nylon rope, and make a rat's nest out of poly. Also, slide two or three nokalon buoys onto your tow rope back at the shackle. That will help to keep the hardware from sinking the bridle every time there is any slack, which is more often than you might think. And remember the lower lines. If they get slack and aren't watched sharply, they will wrap around just about anything and everything that might tear off.
Vance