[PSUBS-MAILIST] Gauge for outside viewport?

Mon Sep 21 05:03:08 EDT 2015

Hi Alec,

I have a couple of thoughts.

1.  The gauges I have are chemical protected, so they have an oil filled
diaphragm separating the inlet line from the gauge internals.  Then there
is a small vent hole at the top of the gauge.  You could attach a rubber
hose\bladder to this vent hole, top it up with glycerine or whatever the
gauge is filled with and have a fully compensated valve with a bladder.

2.  How about using just a normal scuba gauge which will probably be
perfectly fine.  But, just make a small adapter that screws onto the gauge
and has only a tiny little orifice to allow the input air.  That way if the
gauge did ever fail, it would only bleed out air slowly and you'd have time
to blow tanks.  If you are using a scuba 1st stage and piping from the HP
port (I assume your not and are plumbing straight into tanks) then the
scuba HP already has this small hole for the same reason.

Also, it would be easy enough to test a gauge.   Find somewhere deep enough
and take a fishing rod and a packed lunch!

Im fairly sure Emile has external gauges on his sub and its a 200m diver.
He could maybe advise?

Just a thought.
Kind Regards
James

On 21 September 2015 at 06:51, Brian Cox via Personal_Submersibles <