[PSUBS-MAILIST] Pre-Charge Resistor

Alan James via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri Apr 8 12:26:25 EDT 2016

 Does anyone have any experience with pre-charge resistors.I am wiring up my Kelly controller & they provide a pre-charge resistor similar to this one.http://www.electricmotorsport.com/wirewound-pre-charge-resistor-5w-10k-ohms.htmlThey are put across the terminals on a main power switch so that they charge up the banksof capacitors that motor controllers have. Without them there is a large inrush of current to the capacitors that can cause arcing to switches & damage to controller components.However if you wire it across the power switch there is always some current going to thecontroller. It probably only drives the ON LED on the motor controller, but I am not sureof this. I can have another switch or circuit breaker up stream of the main switch, but youwould have to turn them on in the right sequence. I have heard of circuits that have delays,so that when the power switch is turned on, power runs through the pre-charge resistor first.Are there marine switches with built in pre- charge circuits?Regards Alan