[PSUBS-MAILIST] port ring

Stephen Fordyce via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri Apr 8 22:39:18 EDT 2016

Hi Rick,
You're correct there - the reinforcing can be in the form of thickening the
small piece of pipe ("nozzle") that is welded on, rather than thickening
the shell.  Although it's not very practical for large holes.  There are
also limits on how far away the reinforcing can be before it doesn't count.

Actually, for small holes, there probably isn't a requirement
to reinforce.  I'm not so familiar with ASME, but in the Australian
Standard for pressure vessels (which is very similar to ASME), you don't
have to reinforce a hole unless it's bigger than 90mm.

Cheers,
Steve

On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 12:21 PM, Rick Patton via Personal_Submersibles <