[PSUBS-MAILIST] more Esmae video

via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Apr 14 13:28:14 EDT 2016

Jim,
Snoopy can do roll control because she has sufficient metacentric height to start with, and is improving on what she already has while surfaced. For the uninitiated, MH is the distance between a center of gravity and a center of buoyancy. Due to the stock fore and aft tanks, Snoopy (like all K-boats) tends to be roly-poly. But even without the side tanks, they won't roll over (or at least won't stay rolled over) because there is a good solid MH integral to the design. Brian, I suspect, has the other problem. His MH is too short, and that simply won't work. Also, it's good to keep in mind that the metacentric height changes (shortens) as and after you submerge. There are a whole bunch of fun calculations that have to be done to prove to ABS (for instance) that the boat will retain sufficient stability in whatever trim she is in, surfaced, diving, and submerged. There just ain't no substitute for MH in that game. As to Brian's problem  I'd say that if he does have sufficient payload capacity to add lead down low, then he could easily lower the sub's CG without altering its CB, which would improve the MH. Is that enough acronyms for now? In any case, if he actually does have the payload for another 500# of lead (or whatever), I'd be prone to strapping that under the hull and try again before going to work with the edge grinder, just to see if it works.
Vance