[PSUBS-MAILIST] casting parts

Mon Apr 18 21:18:07 EDT 2016

Actually, I would think that casting would be a useful process for a hands-on guy like you, Hank. You could probably do your own patterns from plywood and Bondo and then deal with a foundry without having to pay for the pattern making.  Just do some research first - you need to accommodate shrinkage, and the draft requirement.  Also, you do need to 100% NDT the completed castings. Unlike billets / plates, voids can be quite common in cast parts, and these need to be detected and corrected for our application.

Sean