[PSUBS-MAILIST] casting parts

Tue Apr 19 07:51:42 EDT 2016

Not sure what you mean by overbuild? I only ever design things to be as strong as they need to be. A casting is not a forging - you must accept that the strength gains you get by working as with forgings and plate materials don't exist in castings - all processes have tradeoffs.

I would specify an appropriate material, such as ASTM A352 LCC, which is analogous to the A516 grade 70 plate specification with regard to low temperature toughness. Also could use A216, but I note that the ABS steel vessel rules point out that all 216 castings should use a 0.8 quality factor unless NDT is carried out beyond that required by the material specification, which would necessitate the part being 25% larger for equivalent load carrying capacity. For a sub I would NDT the hell out of it anyway, so it comes down to a confidence thing. This is something I would work with the foundry on in order to minimize voids, and then a NDT professional in order to detect any that do exist.

It's always better to use a stringent material specification (i.e. A352), a reputable foundry who can discuss these issues with you, and do material testing (both exhaustive NDT on the completed part and e.g. notch toughness tests using samples from the same heat) so you can be assured of exactly what you have, versus not being confident and overbuilding to compensate.

In any case, cast parts don't necessarily need to be larger than machined equivalents. In fact, often the freedom of form afforded by casting allows you to eliminate geometric stress concentrations that would be unavoidable with plate fabrication and machining operations exclusively, such that even if you have less load carrying capacity in the material, you also have less load to carry because you can delocalize it.

I think the bigger consideration for the amateur is the tradeoff between the advantages of casting any particular part, versus the cost of doing the NDT.

Sean