[PSUBS-MAILIST] Speed controllers

Alan James via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Apr 19 18:09:12 EDT 2016

Hi Alec,that one says brushless?On the Kelly faq page for selecting controllers it suggests.....
HOW TO CHOOSE A SUITABLE CONTROLLER FOR THE MOTOR?
Usually the performance will be optimized if the power of the controller is 2.0-3.0 times of the motor's.   I guess that means if you have a 2000W motor you get a controller whose continualamp rating X max voltage is at least 4000W.   I have heard that it is better to aire on the safe side as some manufacturers over ratetheir controllers. Kelly have a reputation of being good & cheap, & their ratings accurate,however Hugh has had problems with them & I wired up mine yesterday & the ON lightisn't working when powered up. I put power on it once without the pre-ignition resisterso this may have stuffed it, but surely it wouldn't be so fickle!Alan