[PSUBS-MAILIST] Speed controllers

Sat Apr 23 11:52:16 EDT 2016

Your point about manual backups is spot on. As things get more complex, the failure probability increases unless specifically designed to provide component, system and/or mission failure redundancy. I'm not going quite that far (not designing the space shuttle), but will have manual overrides and backups - often low tech - in place for all critical functions. You have to be able to get yourself home assuming a complete loss of power, loss of lighting / visibility, etc. Being able to bypass computer control and go to direct proportional control wouldn't be a bad idea if only the controller had failed.

Sean