[PSUBS-MAILIST] power converter

Wed Apr 27 09:39:44 EDT 2016

Hank - these motors of yours are DC motors, correct?  If so, the only way to control them is by varying the applied DC voltage, either directly or by approximating it with pulse width modulation (a DC motor controller) which outputs the full rated voltage (120 V?) for some percentage of time (the duty cycle), at a period switched at a relatively high frequency.

Either way, you need to step up from your 48 VDC bus voltage. There are three ways to do that.

1). You can go to more batteries in series for a higher DC bus voltage. I like this solution because you get away with smaller wires and have less voltage drop over distance, but it does mean that you need to use regulated power supplies for house loads instead of making direct battery connections to 48 VDC appliances. Also, DC voltage is dangerous stuff, so make sure the bus lines are protected from contact, fused or with appropriate breakers etc.

2) You can use a DC-DC converter of an appropriate power rating for your motors. Not sure what it would cost, but this is the simplest and cleanest solution.

A converter is essentially a VFD in inverse. To step up any voltage, that voltage must be AC (transformers only work with varying electric / magnetic fields). A transformer operating at typical AC mains frequencies is large and inefficient. As the AC frequency goes up, the size and heat dissipated in components goes down. I'm simplifying a bit, but the DC-DC converter essentially uses some complicated switch mode electronics to invert your 48 VDC to an AC voltage at a very high frequency (kHZ or MHz), then steps that AC voltage up in what is effectively a transformer circuit (to e.g. 170 VAC), and finally rectifies the stepped-up AC voltage back to DC (e.g. 120 VDC).

3) Use a M/G set. 48 VDC motor directly connected to an AC generator and rectifier to produce DC at the higher voltage. Old school and inefficient, but it works.

At this point, I might just look at the cost of replacing the motors you have with 48 VDC equivalents.

FYI, in my own design, I am using a high voltage DC bus (647 VDC), but that voltage only exists in the battery compartment which is an isolated space flushed with sulfur hexafluoride in order to eliminate fire risk and prevent arcing. The battery feeds the DC bus of a VFD, bypassing the rectifier stage which would otherwise be fed by an AC generator or shore power for charging. The VFD outputs variable frequency AC at 440 V, feeding an asynchronous induction motor connected to a hydraulic pump, which outputs to a common pressure line in parallel with a number of accumulators for energy storage. All of the vessel thrusters and actuators are hydraulic, commanded by servo or proportional valves as appropriate. Only 24 VDC is present in the manned compartments. The hydraulic system is inefficient compared to pure electric, but capable of delivering high power in small form factors. I get around some of the efficiency problem by relying on the accumulators so that the pump isn't running
all the time.

Sean