[PSUBS-MAILIST] Overpressure on dome

Alec Smyth via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Aug 4 08:41:47 EDT 2016

Yep, this is why the cabin pressure gauge and the OP valve are right in
front of the pilot. In a K250 the dome makes it particularly apparent, but
I would suggest the same approach be taken in any sub with viewports.
Temperature changes are routine and on some dives the hull can feel like an
ice maker. It's normal for temperature change to reduce cabin pressure, but
I've never encountered the opposite situation. In my mind it's the small,
slow, unnoticed air leaks that you want to look out for. Not a SCUBA tank
exploding but a valve stem that leaks a tiny amount of air. Those would
also mess up life support if it were automatic and based off cabin
pressure. So just keep your eye on that cabin pressure gauge, it's there
for a good reason and is sensitive. For the record, the OP valve cracking
pressure is adjustable with a knob, it's not hard set at 1/2 psi.

Best,

Alec

On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 10:10 PM, Alan James via Personal_Submersibles <