[PSUBS-MAILIST] Inflatable sub support

via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Aug 8 19:07:01 EDT 2016

Doug,
I did a study on just that idea a few years back. My suggestion is to think of rigging your boat poles at a 30 degree angle off center pointing aft and outboard from each corner of your boat transom. For transfer, you attach the sub on a short bow line to the central tow point on the boat, and use a V-bridle from each pole tip to both lift points on the sub from BOTH sides, which would (in theory at least) help to cancel out the sub's urgent desire to dart left and right, and keep it from wallowing quite so bad in the wash. If it get's sloppy, add a small drogue on a fairly long line from the sub's tail, which will make your tow motor work harder, but should stabilize fore and aft in a seaway as well and will also let you tow FASTER. And believe it or not, the faster you go, the steadier everything gets (we launched 8-12 ton subs at a minimum of 4 knots, just as a historical note). The idea here is to at least do our smaller scale stuff while gently underway, with lines and poles and all that pulling away from the sub no matter which way the little bastard rolls. I'd love to see that tried out. NOTE: Don't even consider doing this with poly rope, which will tie itself into knots, or nylon, which will stretch and heat up and defeat the whole purpose. Braided Dacron line is called for here, even though it sinks and is a pain to deal with near props. Floats on the shackle ends of your tow and drogue lines are essential kit for this set up. Give me a yell if you want to rig it up. I'll drive down and give you a hand. My main concern is that the poles will be too stiff under light load and too flexible when the going gets tough. It would be an interesting thing to try, just to see how much abuse the poles will put up with if nothing else.
Vance