[PSUBS-MAILIST] Shackleton update

Alec Smyth via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Aug 9 22:26:09 EDT 2016

Hi everyone,

Here's an update for those who were at the convention discussion of
Shackleton's stability. We did a second test yesterday, adding ballast per
the calculations to bring the center of gravity below the center of
buoyancy when surfaced. After that we also tried Hank's suggestion of
drilling holes in the lower part of the MBTs to gain some stability that
way too, and that also helped. Both things worked as expected and the sub
now has some stability. However, I also wanted to see how it actually felt
in the water walking around on the deck, and I wasn't happy with that. I'm
evaluating modifications, and my current thought is to replace the MBTs
with a "raft" configuration, raising the tanks' CB and considerably
increasing the beam. That would have the benefit of massively increasing
stability while keeping the high coning tower and its associated freeboard,
a key design objective. I'm researching mineral tanks and similar
off-the-shelf options.

Best,