[PSUBS-MAILIST] GPR pressure hull

hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Aug 18 21:13:02 EDT 2016

Hi Sean,Thank you for the great explanation.  Also I had a feeling you could be familiar with the Wrangler sub, since you worked at ISE.  Since posting the question to you, I determined that the cost of a GRP hull is quite cheap material wise, in fact it is cheaper than steel, (maybe)  I concluded that it must be engineering and fabrication that make it expensive.  On another note, I came across a test study of concrete spheres both 16 in dia and 66 inch dia.  The wall thickness worked out to 4.16 inches on the 66 inch spheres.   I think 18 spheres were tested to 4,200 feet. Don't hold me to the figures, it was a lot of information to digest.  The interesting thing is that the spheres were 10,000 psi concrete, hardly high performance.  The other interesting thing is that an opening up to 40 percent of the area is not detrimental, in fact no problem.  The study explains that the opening angle must intersect with the centre of the sphere as the important feature.  Also spheres were built as hemispheres glued together with epoxy.  Even that proved to work well in failure events.  The epoxy held up with no problem, and I was surprised that the hemispheres only had to fit together with a better that 1\8 inch gap.  Amazing!  If you want the study i can send it to you or a link.Thank you again, that was a great explanation, and I understood it lol.Hank