[PSUBS-MAILIST] hydraulic fluid choice

Alan James via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun Dec 4 14:44:29 EST 2016

Hank,
a Minn kotta motor seems like a huge overkill.
I would think that the WD40 would be more destructive than the hydraulic oil anyway.
There are lots of oils you can use for hydraulics; perhaps find one that is
going to be kinder to your motor windings & just drop a brushed motor in it.
The oil might be more viscous, but you could perhaps increase the pressure on the
motor brushes to avoid what Dr Phil calls "Herky Jerky" movement of the motor
caused by centrifigal force of the oil at speed, pulling the brushes off the commutator.
Easy to drop a motor in a bucket of oil & test it.
You get more wear of the brushes with more pressure, but you will only be using
the hydraulics when you find that gold bar; so this would be a non issue.
Cheers Alan