[PSUBS-MAILIST] Motor modification

Alan James via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Dec 12 17:15:15 EST 2016

Rick,
I don't think you are over-thinking. You want to get it right.
You are going to be diving in salt water, whereas a lot of the
psubbers predominately dive in fresh. Also you have access to
deep water & will probably be diving deeper than most people.I have been mulling over this subject & trying to get good
information for years. I have swung between air compensation
& oil compensation but are pretty convinced oil is the way to
go, as far as keeping the motor cool, lubricating seals & bearings
& diluting any water that may come in.
   I don't like the tube wrap method because it only gives you just
less than ambient pressure & not the safety of an internal over-pressure.
The industry standard is about 4psi overpressure & I am just going
on what the underwater industry is doing.
   Also you will lose oil, as the seals will leak it if they are operating
properly & you wil need to re-fill more frequently than if you had a
larger compensator.
   For probably less than $150- you could buy the PR364 relieving regulator
& just oil fill the wiring tubes & T in air pressure from this regulator.
Alan