[PSUBS-MAILIST] motor seal

Wed Dec 14 08:53:07 EST 2016

The submersible pump develops an internal pressure equal to the discharge head which must be resisted by the seal. With a lip seal, you have a base resistance due to compression of the elastomer or energizing spring, but then any additional pressure will tend to either load or unload the seal depending on its installation direction. Lip seals with low or zero differential pressure rating may still have a preferred installation direction, depending on whether retaining fluid or excluding contaminants is the greater priority. If you are sealing a pressure differential, you want the lip oriented toward the higher pressure side, so that it is energized by that pressure. If you are sealing equal pressures, than the direction is up to you, but if sealing seawater on one side, orienting the lip in that direction stands a better chance of excluding it, provided you don't have any pressure increase on the inside.  With the dual seal arrangement, inner seal faces in, outer seal faces out.

Sean