[PSUBS-MAILIST] Fw: Elementary 3000 new paint

Sat Feb 13 22:12:25 EST 2016

That would be true if there were no friction, and if there were no forces acting normal to the shell surface; however, such an angle would be very slight indeed. In reality, the same pressure that is acting to compress the sphere is also acting to press the hatch into the hole, and there is friction between the mating surfaces, as well as tension from the hatch dogs. As such, the range of interface angles that will still allow the hatch to carry the full shell stress is somewhat greater. It's a bit of a moot point, since such load carrying ability is not relied upon in design, as reinforcement of the shell surrounding the hole is required by the rules, but is a thought exercise for true optimization of the geometry.

Sean